Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Grocery Store Experience

A couple of weeks ago I had a very interesting grocery store experience that I wanted to share cause it is really funny. My wife and I only have one car so it involves a lot of dropping off, picking up, and patience. Well this day the snow was out and about in April (gotta love Utah). THE PLAN: Brianne was going to drop me off at 8:30 to job shadow Chelsea Marshall (PA) and then go workout and come back and pick me up at 10:30. She was feeling fat that day so the 2 hour workout was necessary in her eyes. Sounds really simple I know, but that was the plan, only the plan. WHAT REALLY HAPPENED: Brianne dropped me off at the Family Practice office located in Provo a good 15 min driving from our house in Orem. When I arrived I found out Chelsea was sick with pneumonia and forgot to call me so I shot the breeze with her for about 5 min wanting to leave so I could call my wife and tell her to come back and pick me up before she entered the gym without her cell phone. I left the office and called her phone right away. NO LUCK SHE WAS ALREADY IN THE GYM. Knowing I had 2 hours to kill I headed to a small supermarket across the street. Pouring rain outside I wasn't about to walk in slacks and a tie home so I killed some time. I am not sure if any of you have spent 2 hours in a small grocery store but it gets BORINGGGGG. My activities while in this store consisted of reading people magazine, studying my golf swing in Golf's Digest, walking up and down the aisles 50 times, quizzing myself on nutritional facts, etc. After about an hour of being the weirdo walking up and down the aisles an employee asked me if I needed something. I explained the situation to her and told her I was just waiting for a ride and who knows how long I would be stuck there. During the 2 hours I spent in the store I called Brianne 20 times with hope to get a hold of her so when she got done with her workout she saw 20 missed calls on her phone. Freaking out she apologized but it wasn't her fault at all. I just had to tell you cause never in my life have I spent 2 hours killing time in a grocery store.

7 comments:

kari said...

I'll never forget this.. over spagetti in SLC.

Brianne...gotta love the gym came first. That's my girl.


Jeff...I will be sure to come to you for all my food label needs. hahaha

Krista said...

Hahaha...that's funny and sad at the same time. If I saw 20 missed calls on my cell phone I would have thought something was terribly wrong!

AO said...

Too bad you didn't have any coupons with you...then you could have done some serious damage. I think I need this story told in person :)

Anonymous said...

That's funny! We were getting a little worried when your blog hadn't been updated for a while. Glad to see you guys are back!! Hope finals went well.

Kim said...

So, it's too bad you don't have some friends living 5 minutes away from you who have vehicles and would love to give you a ride at any time... Oh well. :)

You weirdo. Just call next time. Nate would love any excuse to pick you up and talk sports for a few minutes. Does our car stink or something? You must hate us.

Shelby said...

That is funny Jeff and I had have a kind of similar experience. Derek and I were in a hurry so I said "Drop me off at the grocery store and I'll be quick, like 20 minutes, and you go and get the things we need at Wal-Mart". Well I shouldn't have been so quick because I was done in 20 and it took him almost an hour. I'm not sure why but I was waiting in the front of the grocery store WITH my cart of groceries so I couldn't walk around. I just looked at the WHOLE home magazine issue available.

Not quite as long as your story, but I had the cart with me. I feel your pain :) haha

Ryan O'Berry said...

That sounds like every experience I have when I get my oil changed at Walmart. Walking around for a couple of hours while I wait. Of course, walking around a grocery store would probably be worse. At least Walmart has an electronics section.