Monday, September 29, 2008

Hydrocephalus


This picture might be a little more clarifying. The image on the left has hydrocephalus--this is similar to how Jeff's brain looked prior to the surgery. The image on the right is a normal brain with a functional draining system. The ventriculoperitoneal (VP) shunt was placed in the third ventricle which is the area where the white arrow is pointing to. Pretty soon--if the shunt works correctly--Jeff's brain will look like the normal one. I also thought I might add that when Jeff and I were in the ER Friday night, Dr. Gaufin, the wonderful neurosurgeon, said that he had performed 300-400 of these procedures and that there was a 95% chance of everything going as planned. So we are thankful that everything did!

6 comments:

Candice said...

That is so scary! I'm so glad everything is alright!!!!

Sean and Amberlea said...

HOLY CRAP!!! Very glad to hear it was caught early, and everything is smooth so far. Hey I would have caught it in about 8 years anyway and saved you... i guess this eye doctor will get the glory this time.

AO said...

Okay, this is SO much better picture to picture Jeff's brain. Collin and I hope he is doing okay.

Lora said...

This is so scary! I wonder quite often what crazy things are going on inside my body that I don't know about. We should all probably get MRI's once a year! I will be thinking of you during your recovery. So sorry that you had to deal with this, but glad that all will be okay. Take care-

Kim said...

Judy Marlow... Nate and Boston and I are very glad they caught it. And we're probably going to switch to your eye doctor. Also, the pictures of the scars and the brain make it seem more real than just seeing you with your oh-so-awesome haircut and you with a stiff neck. And Nate says he loves you :)

Krista said...

I am so glad they fixed the problem. I hope you get better quick, Jeff.