Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Girls Camp

A view of the camp from half way to the summit.
The first year girls. They were too cute.
The Camp Director with me, her assistant. Glamorous shot, I know.

This year I got sucked into going to girls camp again. It seems weird that I'm old enough to be a leader in YW. I mean, when I'm with all the girls and all the leaders, I feel much more like I'm 17 or 18 than 30 or older. And I'll be honest, when I first heard about Camp Mia Shalom, I finally realized how spoiled I was when I went to camp up in Washington. We had electricity in half of the cabins, we had warm showers, we had a pool, and we had a lodge with a dining hall. Camp Mia Shalom had NONE of the above. Most everyone went without a shower for the whole week. Not me though, no thanks. I'd rather take a freezing cold shower than none at all. And yes, it was freezing! We also had to cook every single meal for the entire week. Luckily, we brought along a lady who cooks delicious food on the fire and on camp stoves so it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Even though we were roughing it a bit more than I would prefer to, we had a lot of fun. I've never met a more happy and friendly group of girls. They were awesome to be around. I also had a lot of fun getting to know the other leaders better. Yay for making more friends in the ward!

Here are some highlights of the trip:
1. The hike to the summit. We could see forever in every direction.
2. Canoeing on the lake. It was too bad that we couldn't go swimming though. The lake was crystal clear so you could see right to the bottom. It didn't feel too cold either, and since it was so hot up there, it would have been a great way to cool down.
3. Morning runs at 10,000 feet. I don't think I've ever had to work so hard to breath. Great way to train though.
4. Singing around the lake.
5. Tin foil calzones. Delicious.
6. The scenery. It was beautiful up there. Reminded me a lot of Oregon.
7. Cute little first years with extra camp enthusiasm.
8. Camp fire stories.
9. Watching the moon rise each night. It would come up from behind a mountain and light up the sky. There were a gazillion stars out too.
10. And I'll be honest, I felt pretty lucky that I got to come home a day early to go up to Jeff's family reunion in Idaho. I got to shower before everyone else, and I didn't have to help clean up! Haha.

2 comments:

Krista said...

I loved Girl's Camp when I was young! I bet the girls thought you were a fun leader.

Whitney said...

I always looked forward to my dad coming up for the night because he would bring our 5th wheel and I'd get to sleep one night in there! :) I hated the whole tent thing. But girls camp was a blast, and have great memories from it. You would be an awesome leader!!!!