Thursday, January 21, 2010

AIRPORT MADNESS

Well I will later give my thoughts on the interviews I have this weekend, but right now you must know what I had to go through to have my butt arrive in Tampa, Florida. It all started when the announcer at gate A4 in SLC said that there were severe winds in Phoenix and there was a possibility of flight cancellations. Cancellation of a flight for an important PA school interview = NOT GOOD. There was nothing I could do at this time but get on the winged jet and head south to Arizona hoping and praying for the best. I had a 45 min layer over from the arriving Phoenix flight until the departure to Tampa so if all went well, I would be fine. First, most of the plane ride was rather bumpy. With about 20 minutes to go, air traffic control held us in the air because of winds of 50 MPH. Another not good sign for those still reading, cause who wants to land a massive jet in 50 MPH winds? To me that doesn't seem so safe so I was fine with holding out, assuming that all flights leaving Phoenix would also be delayed. After the pilot joked with us across the intercom, it was finally decided to land in Phoenix. The winds were down to 35 now and it was possible, but not ideal. The descent was like a roller coaster, which for a coaster lover like me with the true gospel of Christ and Plan of Salvation knowledge, I was rather calm. Needless to say I can’t say that for everyone aboard the aircraft. Palms were sweaty and the guy across the row from me was “hating life”. In all seriousness, it was little crazy looking out the window and seeing the wings move up and down as the plane tried to touch down on the runway. After we landed, the stewardess let out a “WHOOHHH”. Then the pilot came on saying that was better than a ride at Disneyland. I knew I probably had to hurry but that was the small of it. I walked out and after checking the screens, my flight was on time it said. We arrived in Phoenix at 4:20 and my flight was leaving at 4:10. I am freaking out cause remember, really important interview in Tampa tomorrow at 9AM. I started walking missionary pace to the door to see if by some chance it was still there. My gate was A30 and we exited A14 so I felt I was close. When you are thinking you just missed a flight your mind doesn’t work the way God intended it to. I saw the first sign directed to A30 so I followed but the ports lowered: A10, A7, A4. Thinking this was wrong I turned around and headed back to where I came from. Then the public announcement came across saying, “Flight 536 to Tampa is in final boarding, report ASAP to Gate A30 to Tampa”. This put me in panic mode. I had no idea where this stupid gate was. I switched directions probably 4 times before I realized gates A15-A30 are at a different part of the airport. A30 wasn’t close at all. I had an entirely full backpack and a carry-on suitcase. I didn’t and couldn't care so I started sprinting in the gate's direction weaving in and out of people (the airport was packed). I felt like a member of the Callister family during Christmas (HOME ALONE). The walking escalators helped as I was moving like a cheetah. In the midst of this craziness, it felt like my backpack was open. I turned around to find my backpack is wide open. I was probably 2 seconds from all the stuff dumping out including a new laptop computer. I would say tender mercy from God that I felt it. I sat my backpack down to zip it up just as the walking escalator ended. Of course, the waist straps on backpack got entirely stuck. I tried to get the thing out but had to use my Hercules strength to pull my backpack loose and break the straps free. They were really more of an accessory to the backpack than a necessity. By this time, my sprinting body was needing more oxygen than I could get to it. I can thank the fat cells for that. Sprinting down the last corridor I finally saw A30. The door was still open! Breathing like a 90 year old with asthma, I arrived at the gate and walked through a full plane to my seat. It was the craziest experience that I have had in quite some time and wish it upon no one. Anyway, the reason this entry is a book is 'cause wrote it on a flight going three quarters of the way across the country on a plane with no TV or movies. What else is a guy supposed to do? Ok, now off to the interviews...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad I wasn't on that flight. I'm sure I would have had a full blown panic attack. And so sorry I had to miss seeing you race through the airport, hahaha. I feel bad for you. But not too bad cause you're in Florida and I'm stuck at home again :( Sounds like we better get you a new backpack, huh? Unless you get in to one of these schools, then you have to keep it for good luck.
XO

Krista said...

Haha! Jeff, you crack me up!!! I'm sorry I had to miss you running through the airport too. I am glad you made it to the plane though. That was hilarious to read. Thanks for the laugh! :-)

AO said...

Full on laughing out loud at this story. I may need to hear it in person.... good luck! I'm sure you will make it in one of these due to all of your efforts!

Kim said...

Also laughing out loud at this. Glad you made it - we want to hear how the interview went...