Thursday, July 24, 2008

I Swore I'd Never Be One...But I'm a CNA Now


I finally got a job (yay!) as a CNA at a nursing home and I started this week. Here are some highlights:

1. Feeding a lady who randomly screams "WAHOOOOO!" and wears a bright pink t-shirt with the word "SEXY" in huge glittery letters.

2. Showering a 400 pound woman. Enough said.

3. Taking a patient outside to smoke (I have no idea why they allow this) and not knowing which end of the cigarette to light.

4. Suspecting ghosts in an empty room where a lady died just last week and the call light keeps turning on randomly (and in the room two doors down) when there is NOBODY around or in the rooms. Everyone on our shift last night was pretty spooked. I'm normally not one to believe in that kind of stuff but when I went in the room alone last night to turn the call light off, I got a cold sweat. Still not sure what was up. Oh, and even the big 45 year old male nurse was scared...

5. Having the classic CNA experience: Think of the worst bathroom experience possible. Now multiply that by ten. If you're having a hard time picturing something, it was basically like 5 massive cowpies in a row. Now imagine the rotten smell as you wipe it up and it just keeps pouring out all over the patient, the bed, the sheets, and everything else for twenty-five minutes straight. I know, you're jealous. But now imagine trying to eat dinner right afterwards...

Even though I come home exhausted, I really feel like I've already had some great experiences in learning how to care for patients. And I'm getting paid to do it!

3 comments:

AO said...

Oh Brianne, this was AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing! SEriously.... I bet you are a GREAT CNA. I wish you could be my nurse while I have Superbaby....maybe the next one :)

kari said...

Whoa... that is really something I haven't heard. I think it takes a special person to do what you do. I have to remind myself that we will all get old, and probably somewhat 'out-of-control' sometime. Your an angel child!

Derek said...

Aww you are so cute!! And great (but somewhat disturbing) stories :) I love your blog it's so cute!