Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BYU Football 2008 Preview COACHING


Here is the weekly layout of BYU Football fall preview. I will begin this week by discussing coaching and giving a grade of the unit. The question in most football minds is what makes a good coach? Many elements go into coaching and I for one do not know them all, but winning makes a good coach in my eyes. Yes back in the growing up days of little league and grid kid football, winning wasn't the most important thing, but at the college level you have to win. Some argue that coaching isn't what wins football games but its the players. I feel both play a role in the winning. Coaching is critical for football especially in college with the role they play in recruiting and the motivating of the players to play at the highest level.
Bronco Mendenhall has been a answer to our prayers here at BYU. After three horrid years, the man has changed the entire state and reputation of the program. Trust me, that isn't easy. Takes a lot of time to do, it is not done overnight. The speed that Bronco has done it is remarkable. The players went from getting arrested for rape to giving Friday night firesides before the game. All this and when we look back and see he wasn't our first choice, kills me. I guess we can still come back to the phrase, "Thanks Kyle, Seriously." You can buy the shirt on cougarfan.com. The university and athletic department may not judge a coach on wins but no matter what you say, all of you want to feel and have to feel the excitement of winning. Why do we get all upset when they lose if we didn't care? I crave wins and want wins and thats what Bronco has brought me and rest of you. We have the longest winning streak in the nation and one of the best records the past 2 years with 22 wins only four losses. I judge coach on wins and thats how it will always be. Its kind of like on my mission, when you really knew if elders were working by baptisms, yes you looked at contacts, invites, discussions, families at church, but in the end the final goal is baptisms. This may not be true for all missions I know but in mine, we wanted baptisms, that was how all of us were judged. No matter what you say, if your team is not winning than your just not that good of a coach. Bronco is winning and that makes him a great coach and will be for a while. At BYU its a little bit different. You can't just win but you represent the church in all that you say and do. Instead of hiding from it like Crowton, Mendenhall has embraced the church and used the spiritual aspect to his advantage. The only thing I can think negative about him is the crazy words he uses, but I feel that reflects his vision and mastery of his players. Will all these praises continue to be said about him? Time will tell as the season progresses, but my vote is they will. How can I not give him a big fat A

2 comments:

AO said...

This was a nice overview....too bad my mission wasn't baptism focused....but I agree. Thanks for your thoughts little brother. I'm anxious to see how the Cougars do this year. And that t-shirt....awesome.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that, I would have died.