Sunday, August 3, 2008

BYU Football Preview SPECIAL TEAMS

This week I preview one of the most important units on the team. Hence comes the name special, they are special and a botched special teams play can change the entire outcome of the game. This past year, the special teams unit was only average. Austin Collie emerged as a dangerous return man with the speed to take it the distance and he has only gotten faster (hopefully his stress fracture doesn't affect him). The biggest addition is Justin Sorensen, the kicker that can kick it a mile. In the first practice he kicked 9 out of 10 out of the end zone with one being 8 yards deep. I don't see many kicks getting returned this year. Hopefully Mitch Payne has stepped up his game or he won't see a down this year. Punt returns won't be anything special but as long as Bryce catches the ball I won't complain. I truly feel last year the special teams cost us a lot of yardage and with new comers I can only see the special teams going forward which it must if we are going BCS. GRADE B+

4 comments:

AO said...

Interesting...I do feel like in all areas of life, the "little" things make a big difference, just like special teams. Thanks for your thoughts my BYU analyzer

Krista said...

Jeff, you crack me up! I am excited for football season though.

Anonymous said...

Go Big Blue!!! Rise and shout the Cougars are out...

Whitney said...

You are funny how you know pretty much everything about BYU! But i'm so excited for the first game this Saturday!! We get to go to the BYU vs Wyoming game in my parents seats because they will be on a cruise. I'm really excited. But of course my husband will be cheering for Wyoming....BOOOO!!