Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our First Half Marathon


This last Saturday, Jeff and I ran in the Provo River Trail half marathon. We trained for about 9 weeks and both did better than we had expected. Unfortunately, we had to start the race about 4 minutes late due to a very disorganized morning that caused us to get on the LAST bus up to the starting line. Luckily, I had my watch so I was able to get our actual times.

In my opinion, the first 8 miles were great! I was totally loving it and running between a 6:40 and 7:00 min pace. But once I hit mile 10, I totally hit a brick wall. The last 3 miles were harder than heck for me!

For Jeff, he was cruising along with until about mile 6 when he got a pretty bad side ache. I was waiting for him to catch up to me again (but of course he never did, haha) but apparently the side ache lasted quite awhile.

So that's right, I beat my husband! I only had two goals. One was to beat him and the other was to run it under 1 hour and 50 min. and I did both! According to my watch (since that's what's accurate for us), I ran it in 1:44:43 and Jeff came in at about 1:51:00. It was a great experience and we will definitely start racing more!

Oh, and I thought I would add that the picture was taken after the race hence the tired and somewhat unattractive look :)

3 comments:

jeffandbrianne said...

Just ask my wife who won in Mario Kart and she will shut her mouth. HAHA

kari said...

You guys did so great! You need to come up and race Mesa Falls. Once you do it, it is addictive. I am sure you will only get better. Congrats!!!

Krista said...

Jeff, as much as I love Mario Kart I am not sure you can compare actually running to a video game. I think I am on Brianne's side on this one. :-) Although I do find amazing that you guys ran a half marathon. There is no way I could do that!