Sunday, January 25, 2009

Labor and Delivery

In my L&D class we got to try on the "Empathy Belly." And let me tell you, that thing is heavy!

I have found my place in the nursing world. I always thought that I would want to work in the Mother/Baby unit or in the NICU and I never thought that I would want to work in Labor and Delivery because that's disgusting. Haha! Even though I haven't had my rotations on M/B or in the NICU yet, I really think that L&D is where I will be working in the future.

On my first day on the unit, I helped with a medicated birth and I watched a natural one. I used to think that people who chose to deliver naturally were "macho women" who had something to prove to the world, but now I see that there are definitely pros and cons to both sides. Don't get me wrong though, I think I'll still want the epidural when my time comes :) On my second clinical day I watched a C-section. I never knew that the mom was awake through the whole thing. I'm not sure I would like that! Also, how many of you knew that when they stitch up the uterus, they take it out of the mom (still attached to her, of course) and plop it on her belly? Then when they're finished they just stuff it back in. Haha, so weird!

I think I could get used to watching little miracles happen everyday. Watching a birth is the most amazing thing ever, unless you see the mom tear and then I get all creeped out...ouch!

5 comments:

AO said...

That is HILARIOUS the empathy belly. Hopefully I didn't look QUITE like that.... you will be SUCH a great nurse. Maybe you can be at birth of baby 2.

jeffandbrianne said...

Sometimes I feel like my wife shares more of her future plans on this blog then with me, or maybe I just need to listen better. So glad us men don't get prego. Shout out to all you ladies that go through this.

kari said...

I think that is a very honorable job. Women are in pain, emotional and want that day to be a happy memory. You'd do great.

Oh, and like Alisa, you are welcome at any future Atkinson births as well. :)

XOXOXOXO

Kim said...

Yay for you! I loved my L&D nurse, and it just made the whole experience much better - I agree, you'll be great at it. Haha - and I love the sympathy belly, complete with massive boobs :)

Nate said...

Did Jeff put on the "empathy belly"? That would be a sight for sore eyes.